Volunteering at ASFS
ASFS volunteers make it happen. All of our wonderful PTA programs that support our school and children depend entirely on volunteers. And many hands make for light work. Please volunteer to make our school a great place for our children. There are many opportunities both during the day and outside of school hours. Click below to indicate your volunteer interests and preferences for the 2019-20 school year:
ASFS PTA Volunteer Sign-Up (2019-20)
Contact ASFS PTA President Dena Porter or Volunteer Coordinator Caryl Brzymialkiewicz with any questions. Thank you for your support!
Summer Volunteer Opportunities @ ASFS
Looking for ways to stay engaged and involved over the summer? Here are a few ways you can help out:
- Feed the Fish! Support our ASFS Aquariums: Sign up for a week (or more) to check our school aquariums and feed the fish. Kids are welcome, and you can come anytime between 9am-3pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the week you sign up for. Click for more details and to sign up: ASFS Summer Aquarium Volunteer Sign-up
- Keep ASFS Beautiful! Water/Weed our Gardens: Another fun activity where kids may participate! Sign up for a week during the summer to water the outside gardens and keep up with the weeding. Directions will be provided, and each visit takes no more than ~30 minutes. Click to volunteer to help: ASFS Summer Garden Help Volunteer Sign-up
- New Classroom Books! Help with Book Boxes: Support ASFS' new Reading Workshop program with labeling new classroom book boxes and classroom books. Email Dena Porter if you are interested in helping out, and we will be in touch with the volunteer schedule once the materials arrive over the summer.
New! Open PTA Roles for Next Year
New PTA roles for the 2019-20 school year! We have a number of roles we are looking to fill for next year:
- 5th Grade Cherrydale Rehab Field Trip Coordinator - Support optional after-school outings with small groups of ASFS 5th graders to the nearby Cherrydale Rehabilitation Center to visit with residents on a periodic basis
- ASFS "Dine Out" Event Coordinator - Set up and coordinate family dining nights (like Silver Diner and The Simple Greek) and manage local restaurant opportunities to support
- ASFS ASFS PTA Social Media Lead - If you enjoy posting on Facebook and Twitter, we'd love a point person to help with our PTA Facebook group and PTA Twitter account
- ASFS Theater Production Lead - Serve as the lead to support discussions with Baroody and ASFS to look into the possibility of coordinating an after-school theater program and end of year production
Please email Dena Porter if you might be interested in, or have any questions about any of these roles. Thank you!
APS Requirements for ASFS Volunteers
APS requires that all volunteers complete the below steps before volunteering at ASFS or serving as a chaperone on any student field trips. Please note that there is a clear distinction between a visitor and a volunteer. A visitor is a person who visits the school on occasion. Example: Outside the Box Day, STEM Night, or Field Day. A volunteer is defined as an unpaid individual working under staff supervision, who donates his or her time (on an ongoing basis) to assist with activities that enhance instruction and promote learning. For more information, visit the APS Volunteers and Partnerships page.
Here are the steps that need to be taken before volunteering or chaperoning at ASFS:
- Complete and sign an APS Volunteer Application Form and APS Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement and submit it to Paige Prenger in the ASFS front office.
- Complete the online Safe Schools Training as required by Virginia state law. A link to this site will be sent to you via APS. Once you have completed the Safe Schools Training, you will receive a certificate. Please bring a copy to Paige Prenger. This step is NOT required to be completed before you volunteer or chaperone.
- Meet with Paige Prenger 10 minutes prior to your first day as a volunteer for a brief orientation. Chaperoning does not require an orientation.
- Whenever volunteering, please sign-in at the front office using the Volunteer notebook, get a Volunteer badge, and have FUN!