Welcome, New ASFS Families!
Welcome to Arlington Science Focus School! On behalf of the PTA, we are excited you will be joining us at ASFS! Below are some key dates and important reminders as you get started:
Join the Arlington Science Focus PTA
- Join the PTA for $10/member ($20/family) to support our school and vote at PTA meetings.
- Pay annual dues online or pay with cash/check via PTA Membership envelopes which are available in the ASFS front office (payable to ASFS PTA).
Sign Up to Volunteer at ASFS
Volunteer Opportunities at ASFS - Learn more about how you can get involved now!
- We need your help to ensure the success of our ASFS PTA programs and events! A great way to meet fellow ASFS families, get involved to support the school, and connect with the ASFS community! There are many opportunities outside of regular school hours, or as it fits into your schedule!
- Learn more about how to get involved, or download the ASFS PTA Volunteer Form (2019-20) to return to the ASFS front office.
ASFS PTA Volunteer Sign-Up Form
Opt-In to the ASFS PTA Directory
All parents and guardians must opt-in each year (for each APS student) in order to be included in the ASFS PTA Directory. This is the primary way the PTA and ASFS parents may communicate with one another.
- Go to APS ParentVUE and login with your User Name and Password.*
- When you are completing the annual online verification process, select ‘Yes, Please provide my student/family information’ under PTA Directory Information to be included in the ASFS PTA Directory for each of your APS students.
- You must opt in for each student, so even if you are a returning family, make sure you opt in for your new Kindergarten students as well.
*Note to First Time Users of APS ParentVUE: If you need your individual activation code, please contact the ASFS Front Office at 703.228.7670.
Additional information and resources are available on the Annual Online Verification Process webpage, including Instructions for Activating Your ParentVUE Account.
Purchase Your School Supplies
See the ASFS School Supply Lists (2019-20) for each grade level to purchase the list of required supplies for your child(ren).
Mark Your Calendar!
Make sure to bookmark and refer to the ASFS Master Calendar for the most up-to-date school calendar with key dates for all upcoming events.
Also, make sure to take the time to read the weekly Electronic Friday Folder (eFF) and bimonthly Electric News newsletter to stay up to date on the latest school news and events. You can check out past issues on the ASFS PTA Communications page.
Other Important Information
- Extended Day - If you need childcare before or after school, register for Extended Day through APS.
- Meals - Set up an account with MySchool Bucks to make it easy for your child to buy lunch; the school menu is available online.
- Buddy Program - ASFS has a Buddy Program to help you get settled in at ASFS.
- Shop for ASFS - Link up your Amazon and grocery store rewards program for a free, easy way to help raise money for ASFS.
- Important Links - Visit the Important Links page to review and bookmark more key sites you will use throughout the school year.
Some suggestions from current parents:
- If your child will be riding the bus to/from school, send him/her on the bus the first day. It's a milestone moment for them and the school provides a lot of extra guidance during the first few days.
- If you will be driving to drop off your child in the morning, please carefully review the student drop-off instructions that the school will provide - the drop-off area is congested with buses, cars, bikes, and pedestrians and we want to make sure everyone is SAFE.
- Even if you are planning to pack lunch for your child every day, it doesn't hurt to create a MySchoolBucks account in case their lunch box gets lost.
If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact the ASFS Welcome Committee anytime - we are here to help!