Welcome, New ASFS Families!
Welcome to Arlington Science Focus School! On behalf of the PTA, we are excited you will be joining us at ASFS!
Below are some reminders and tips to get you started. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact the ASFS Welcome Committee anytime - we are here to help!
ASFS Kindergarten Summer Playdates (Summer 2019)
Calling all ASFS Rising Kindergarteners and their families! Held throughout the summer at Hayes Park (1516 N. Lincoln Street - directly across from Arlington Science Focus School), these playdates are a casual opportunity to meet fellow classmates and parents before school begins. All rising ASFS kindergarteners, parents & caregivers, and siblings are welcome.
- Thursday, August 1st: 5:00-7:00pm
- Thursday, August 8th: 5:00-7:00pm
- Thursday, August 15th: 5:00-7:00pm
- Thursday, August 22nd: 5:00-7:00pm
- Thursday, August 29th: 4:00-6:00pm (following ASFS Open House)
Please contact ASFS Kindergarten Playdate Coordinators Amelia Gay, Grace Carlson, or Puja Valiyil with any questions. Thanks & hope to see you there!
Join the Arlington Science Focus PTA
- Join the PTA for $10/member ($20/family) to support our school and vote at PTA meetings.
- PTA Membership envelopes are also available in the ASFS front office to pay by cash/check (payable to ASFS PTA).
Sign Up to Volunteer at ASFS
Summer Volunteer Opportunities at ASFS - Lear more about how you can get involved now!
- We need your help to ensure the success of our ASFS PTA programs and events! A great way to meet fellow ASFS families, get involved to support the school, and connect with the ASFS community! There are many opportunities outside of regular school hours, or as it fits into your schedule!
- Learn more about how to get involved, or download the ASFS PTA Volunteer Form (2019-20) to return to the ASFS front office.
ASFS PTA Volunteer Sign-Up Form
Opt-In to the ASFS PTA Directory
In order to be included in the ASFS PTA Directory, you must opt-in to the PTA Directory!
- Go to ParentVUE and login with your User Name and Password.
- Select Child, click Student Info and then Edit Info.
- Scroll down to Release of Student Information 1: PTA Directory Information (For ALL Students).
- Select the "Yes, please provide my student/family information" option from the drop down box.
- Click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom of the page.
- REPEAT steps 2-5 for each of your ASFS students.
Note: You may also opt-in by returning the paper Release of Student Information Form you receive in your first day packet. Please log into ParentVUE to confirm your PTA Directory Information preferences are saved.
Questions? Email ASFS PTA Directory Lead Patricia Wilson.
Purchase Your School Supplies
Mark Your Calendar!
- Make sure to bookmark and refer to the ASFS Master Calendar for the most up-to-date school calendar with key dates for all upcoming events.
Other Important Information
- Extended Day - If you need childcare before or after school, register for Extended Day through APS.
- Meals - Set up an account with MySchool Bucks to make it easy for your child to buy lunch; the school menu is available online.
- Visit the Important Links page to review and bookmark more key sites you will use throughout the school year.
Helpful Tips - Some suggestions from current parents:
- If your child will be riding the bus to/from school, send him/her on the bus the first day. It's a milestone moment for them and the school provides a lot of extra guidance during the first few days.
- If you will be driving to drop off your child in the morning, please carefully review the student drop-off instructions that the school will provide - the drop-off area is congested with buses, cars, bikes, and pedestrians and we want to make sure everyone is SAFE.
- Even if you are planning to pack lunch for your child every day, it doesn't hurt to create a MySchoolBucks account in case their lunch box gets lost.